Saturday, August 11, 2012

How Bad Does "Behaving Badly" Actually Get?

I thought I'd seen it all.

Evidently, I was wrong.

While browsing through social media this evening, I saw a facebook update by book reviewer Elisa Rolle that stunned me.

In short, Elisa left a review on Amazon for a book with which I'm not familiar, and then someone with a fake name and identity left a very negative comment about Elisa's review on Amazon.

It's so ridiculous I'm not quoting it here. You can read it on Amazon here to see what I'm talking about.

For those who don't know, Elisa is a book reviewer based in Italy who is focused primarily on LGBT literature and m/m romance. She's been blogging and writing some of the best posts about the international LGBT community for years.

She's also a professional woman with a great job and she travels the world on business. Although Italian is her main language, she speaks many others, including English. I speak Italian and I can write in Italian, but by no means am I as fluent in my Italian as Elisa is in English. I wish I could write as well in Italian as Elisa writes in English.

All I can say is this comment on Amazon about Elisa's review truly does raise the bar for behaving badly.

Just for the sake of pure entertainment, I also did a little checking to see who left this comment. Very interesting, indeed. I found one review left by this person, and in the scathing review this person makes an unusual accusation about another book with which I am in no way associated. And, once again, it's done with a fake name and identity by someone who clearly is not willing to stand up and own their words.

I've been on the fence about that new web site everyone's been talking about with regard to bullies and reviews. And what I just posted about here is the reason why I'm on the fence. There's clearly something very wrong when people are allowed to make broad generalizations without leaving a name to go with them. Try writing a letter to your local newspaper and getting away with THAT.

No comments: