Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Berenstain Bear Family Addresses Chick-Fil-A

I have posted about the Berenstain Bears here before, only I can't find the link. If someone else can, please let me know.

The reason why I posted about them previously was because the Berenstain family is local, in Solebury, PA, which surrounds New Hope where I live. In my next release, Chase of a Dream, I even mention the Berenstain Bears in my book because it's Culum Mayfield's favorite bedtime ritual...I had no idea they were associated with Chick-fil-a.

But in light of what's been happening with the Chick-fil-a corporation, The Berenstain Bear family has issued this statement regarding their association with Chick-fil-a.



I read this in Towerload:

Following the Jim Henson Company's abrupt decision to end its relationship with Chick-fil-a over the company's anti-gay donations, the restaurant chain began offering a series of books from the Berenstain Bears series instead, which has apparently horrified The Berenstain Family.

I know the Berenstain family has always been supportive of the LGBT community in this area, and I'm glad they made a statement regarding this. Though I rarely get into anything political, I would have distanced myself from it, too. And I would have been just as horrified to be associated with Chick-fil-a. Of course I agree that Chick-fil-a has a right to their opinions. But we all have a right NOT to support those opinions.

4 comments:

99 said...

I keep wondering why no one in Chik Fil A did not see the PR nightmare that would result from the hard stance taken. That is the real head-scratching moment for me.
Matthew Darringer

ryan field said...

I think they truly do believe in the stand they took. And I respect that kind of belief and stand. I just don't agree with it.

I also can't help wondering if they took that stand on purpose to get more attention and free advertising. There are a lot of people who do agree with Chick-fil-a.

Barb said...

Yep. After I was disgusted by the stance of Chik Fil A, it occurred to me that "any publicity is good publicity". One way another it will probably get them more business. As far as I know, there aren't any of their restaurants around where I live, so they won't be getting any money from me!

ryan field said...

We don't have any around here either.