Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Trying to Expose "Malicious" Amazon Reviews

There is an excellent comment thread going on over at Amazon right now. I stumbled across it by accident and I couldn't stop reading the comments.

All I can say is, WOW!

The thread begins this way, with someone asking an interesting question:

A few authors have brought an issue to my attention that, despite having nothing to do with me, caught my interest.

Many indie books, once they start selling at a steady pace and garner enough reviews, become targets for sabotage reviews. That is, reviewers who's only apparent goal is to one star a book every time someone else gives it a favorable review.

We've had several threads outing authors who behave badly. Anyone want to do the detective work on exposing bad (malicious) reviewers?


You can get there from here to check it out yourselves. But once you start be prepared to let everything else go for at least an hour.

I don't usually follow these things because I don't have the time. But in all the years I've been in publishing, this is one of the most fascinating discussions I've ever read, hands down.

6 comments:

linda warnke said...

Damn! It seems like every group ends up eating it's own...Maybe when I'm finally finished with my story, I'll just hand-bind a couple of copies and loan 'em out to trusted friends...:-(
Really...what place is there anywhere for a sensitive person these days? With everyone trying so hard to tear you down?

ryan field said...

We are living in very interesting times, that's for sure.

T.D. McFrost said...

Jealous biatches. That's all it is. Writers are some of the most petty people I've ever encountered and it's a shame they get to actually call themselves as such.

I wrote a post about this already a few months ago but this one takes the cake. just...WOW. I had no idea people coudl be this cruel.

I actually read reviews for products before I buy them and people's opinions matter when I'm on the fence. If it has negative reviews I probably won't buy it, so to think I missed out on a great pruduct because some idiot is jealous makes me upset.

Thanks for bringing this to light, Ryan.

ryan field said...

If you get a chance, check out the link. The people discussing this gave me a new insight on the topic...to the point where I felt better about it. I do think that the top Amazon reviewers who work hard are authentic. In fact, I'm certain they are. They hold themselves to a level that's actually very impressive. I didn't know that until recently.

Anonymous said...

Actually the top can be just as bad. Google Harriet Klause - former no1 who apparently read 20+ books per day at one point!

Also note the top are the voted most helpful, and positive reviews get more up votes. Top reviewers get free stuff to review so it's in their interest to keep their score high. Manufacturers give stuff out to those they think will say nice things.

ryan field said...

I don't know much about it. But I've been told that if I lobby amazon reviewers for my three books published with the KDP program I'll have more sales. My problem is that I don't feel comfortable doing that with the top amazon reviewers. Not only do I not know who they are, I don't feel comfortable contacting them out of the blue and asking for a review. I'm sure authors do this. I'm not one of them. I'd rather get my reviews...good or bad...the old unsolicited fashioned way.