Monday, June 11, 2012

Freedom to Marry Launches New Campaign

I've posted before that I'm on the Freedom to Marry mailing list. Whenever I get e-mails I usually post them here for those who either aren't familiar or normally wouldn't see this information. There's also a link to a video that's interesting. In a way I know how the two guys in the video feel. For years when Tony worked in corporate America where gay is not discussed...ever...we experienced the same types of things.

I'm not a huge fan of online petitions. I don't think they do much good. But I am a fan of getting information out there in all forms.

Copied verbatim from the e-mail:

Ryan,

Last September, my husband, Army Reserve Captain Steve Hill, was deployed to Iraq, and we celebrated together on Skype as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) was repealed. We were finally able to be honest about our life together and share with others the love and commitment we have for one another.

A few nights later, I sat in amazement as Steve was booed by a presidential debate audience when he asked a question via video from Iraq about whether the candidates would support bringing back the discriminatory DADT policy.

Imagine: A service member fighting for our country overseas, booed by Americans at home. It was disgraceful.

Click here to watch a video about us. Then sign the petition to Congress calling on them to repeal DOMA.
Steve and I knew we had to do more than just be honest about our own relationship. We had to be part of the fight to secure the freedom to marry - and the protections and responsibilities that come with the commitment of marriage - for all service members.

That's why we joined a lawsuit with seven other military families and Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and other federal laws that have been used to prevent the military from treating all military families equally.

It's also why I'm writing to you today. SLDN and Freedom to Marry have launched Freedom to Serve, Freedom to Marry, a new campaign to tell the stories of gay and lesbian service members, veterans and their families – and to talk about why marriage matters to us. Steve and I want to share our story with you today.

Watch our video, then sign the petition asking Congress to repeal DOMA.
Steve and I are doing our part to make sure that our marriage - and the marriages of so many loving couples like us across the United States – are honored by the country that Steve took an oath to protect when he joined the Army. You can do your part, too.

Together, we will achieve the freedom to marry for all – especially those putting their lives on the line to protect our country.

Sincerely,

Joshua Snyder

No comments: