Saturday, June 30, 2012

Fourth of July Week: Provincetown...

I have a few friends in Provincetown, MA, and I promised I'd post something about the Fourth of July. I can't imagine that anyone doesn't know P'town is a gay mecca on Cape Cod, but I hate to assume anything.

Though Tony and I used to spend every Labor Day Week and New Year's Eve in P'town, we haven't been there in a few years because we've just been too busy...and one of the dogs is older and driving seven hours through New England is hard on him. And I don't board or trust pet sitters because I've heard too many horror stories. So we've altered our lives according to his challenges and that's without complaint.

In any event, July 4th in P'town is one of those things every gay person should experience at least once in a lifetime. It truly is a different experience you won't find in many other place, anywhere. This year my brother and nephew are driving up from New York and it's my nephew's first time there since he came out of the closet. He's starting med school in Iowa in August and it's sort of his last summer of fun. I just hope my brother keeps an eye on him. Tony and I once brought up a single friend who had never been there and we lost him in the dunes for a week.

Here's a link to the Provincetown Business Guild. That's the one thing I love most about P'town: the shopping. And I'm not a shopper to begin with. But I've never returned from a trip up there without something I love, and I know I'll have for the rest of my life.

There's also something in P'town called the "Dick Dock," but I'll leave that for another post. I'm sure you can guess what happens THERE. I wrote about the "Dick Dock" in "He's Bewitched," and some of my contemporaries...the proper literary types who begin sentences with, "One never knows, does one"...didn't like that at all.  One even challenged me and said the "Dick Dock" didn't exist, and I'd been there myself, personally. But I digress.

Check out the link above...P'town is great all year long, not just in the summer. We've spent many memorable New Year's Eves there in the dead of winter. And we're thinking of going up for Halloween. The last time we did that we both considered it one of the best times of year there.



The PBG helps maintain the #1 Gay Community in America by promoting Provincetown to the GLBT market worldwide, producing such events as the much loved Carnival - the height of Ptown’s summer celebration, Holly Folly – the world’s only GLBT holiday festival and Cabaret Fest – a weekend of music and merriment.

The PBG membership is made up of all types of businesses who are directly and indirectly affected by tourism to Provincetown and who are committed to the economic and cultural development of GLBT tourism in this one of a kind destination. The PBG also welcomes and is fortunate to have associate members who simply want to support the organization and the work that we do.http://tomrimington.blogspot.com/2010/06/there-is-really-is-dick-dock-in-p-town.html

No comments: