Monday, June 18, 2012

Changes At Ravenous Romance...

I literally just found out that Lori Perkins, editorial director at Ravenous Romance, resigned last Friday. You can read more in an announcement she made on her blog, here.

It was a very busy Monday. I've had deadlines with one publisher and I've been multi-tasking with issues at Amazon. I didn't have time to read my e-mails until about an hour ago, which is something I rarely put off all day.

I have had a lot of titles published with Ravenous in the past four years and I've enjoyed working with Lori. She's not only a professional in every sense of the word, she's also a very nice, decent human being. I met Lori through blogging. I started to follow her blog about six years ago and I enjoyed her posts about publishing. To say I was stunned to hear this news would be an understatement. And I'll miss her. Lori challenged me in ways no one else ever did.

And I'd like to wish Lori the very best. I'll miss working with her. If you go back to some of my posts from four years ago you'll see where I described how hard everyone involved with RR worked in the very beginning: authors, editors, copyeditors, and all staff at RR. It was a very intense...and challenging...time for me. I don't think I ever posted about this before. I had slowed down a year before that to having only about four or five things published that year because Tony had been hospitalized, near death, in a coma for three months, in the summer of 2007. There is a doctor in Doylestown Hospital that calls Tony his, "Miracle." Tony came home from the hospital weighing 99 pounds. He was still recuperating when I was approached about writing for Ravenous Romance. The timing was perfect; I was ready to jump back in full time after so many intense months of dealing with doctors and hospitals. I plunged into the work and didn't stop for a break for almost a year.

I also received an e-mail from Ravenous Romance today letting me know that they are moving forward with a few exciting plans for the future. Part of being in publishing is the ability to constantly change and move forward. As an author I've had to do this many times and I will continue to do it. I don't know any details about what Ravenous has planned for the future, but I'm very excited to hear what they will be. I have a soft spot in my heart for Ravenous Romance and I always will for many reasons. I'm very fond of Holly Schmidt and Allan Penn, who are still in charge at Ravenous. And they know they have my full support.

6 comments:

A.B.Gayle said...

I hadn't known that about Tony. Makes your relationship even more special. Hugs.
But I can't get over the fact that for you, 4 or 5 stories published equates to a quiet year...
Alison

ryan field said...

I used to set goals each year...that I would try to get at least twenty short stories sold and published by small presses.

But 2007 was very intense. Tony went to Frankfurt on a business trip/trade show, wound up getting pneumonia, and flew home in a wheel chair he was so sick. He wound up in an induced coma, on a vent, for three months. I spent every day that summer in the ICU. When he was discharged in September, he came home and I hired a nurse. I refused to put him in a nursing home. It took a year of recuperation, and he suffered side effects he still has. When I was approached by Ravenous Romance the following year, I jumped at it. I needed to get back into the swing and it was a good way to do it.

A.B.Gayle said...

People often underestimate pneumonia. It can be a killer. So glad he pulled through. Pity about the recurring side effects though. A continual reminder of how precious life is and how it shouldn't be taken for granted. Which can actually be viewed a good thing.... as long as he can cope with whatever lingers.

ryan field said...

In the beginning, I underestimated it. I didn't think it was a big deal. Little did I know!

You are right. Things like that change people. I know it changes us...for the better.

Michele_lm said...

Wow, Ryan, I had no idea about Tony at all. What a shock that was for me to see here. Give him a hug from me and have him give you one from me. I'm so happy he made it through that mess.

And I'm sorry to hear about Lori leaving RR. Yet another shock. Full of surprises today.

Hugs!!!

ryan field said...

Thanks..I will. It was an difficult time, but thankfully he was relatively young and strong enough to fight it. Considering what could have happened, the side effects he deals with now are accepted.