Friday, June 15, 2012

Apple Going After Google...

This article doesn't sound like Apple is playing around. I read Steve Jobs' bio and he wasn't joking around either.

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product," he (Jobs) said, according to biographer Walter Issacson. "I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

I have both Apple products and an Android tablet. I like both for different reasons, so it's interesting to watch them fight this out. What's very interesting is that all tech companies steal from each other. Jobs himself was once allegedly accused of doing this.

Apple has not quite gotten to nukes, but it has taken aim at Google and pulled the trigger. It launched patent lawsuits against Google's Android hardware partners, HTC in 2010 and Samsung in 2011. It challenged Google on its home turf, advertising, with the introduction of iAd. It began working with mobile carriers beyond AT&T in the United States to limit Android adoption in markets where it had withheld the iPhone. And it launched iCloud.

I'm not a huge fan of Apple, at least not the same way other people I know. They are over-priced and I'd rather pay less for an Android that I know will become obsolete within two years and I'll have to replace it with the next thing that comes along. I'm also not a fan of Apple's historical need for absolute control of the Internet...this includes Steve Jobs' past stand on censorship. Again, you have to read his bio to learn all these things. None of this is mentioned in the mainstream media, generally.

I couldn't agree more with this last comment:

To fight Google, Apple has to change. Yes, Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world at the moment, but it is only one company. It seeks to control too much, and in so doing, it stands to lose out on the next big opportunity, the Internet of Things.

The original concept of the Internet, as I've read before, was to connect through links...an endless connected world wide web. Apple's goal has always been to control everything, right down to the way it's products are designed. If I have a problem with my PC I call for tech support. If I have a problem with my Apple product I have to go to Apple because only Apple can deal with it. At least that's been my personal experience. I know Apple fans would disagree with me. But when I meet a true Apple fan and I mention some of the facts I've learned about Apple I find they rarely know what I'm talking about.

But they do have great ads and fantastic marketing. I will give them that. They know how to create a lifestyle image, not just technology. And people like that, especially many in publishing. Package it right, market it right, and everyone buys bologna.

To read more follow this link.

No comments: