Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Another Way for Libraries to Evolve That Involves Self-Publishing


I've been watching how libraries will change in the coming years because I've always been a library supporter. I've seen doom and gloom posts that say libraries are dead, and I've also seen posts that say libraries will evolve into something different...more like community learning centers.

I tend to agree with the latter. I don't think libraries will ever disappear. And the article to which I'm linking might be an indication as to how they will evolve in the near future. Also take into account the mention of self-publishing, which seems to be making headlines everywhere I go these days.

Digital publishing company Smashwords and Califa, a consortium of 220 California libraries, have formed a partnership to distribute Smashwords eBooks in libraries and to give member libraries the ability to let patrons publish eBooks through Smashwords.


Library Journal explained the self-publishing process: “A patron will be able to use the Califa interface, being built with VuFind, to upload their manuscripts to Smashwords, which then will make the books available to its retail partners (such as Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple, Sony). But Smashwords will also notify Califa that a patron has uploaded a title and see if Califa wishes to purchase the title for its collection.”

Less than four years ago publishing professionals were not only laughing at e-publishing, but also self-publishing. You can read more by clicking the link below.

What in the world will happen next?

No comments: