Thursday, May 31, 2012

A Word of Advice for Authors...

Of course I can't tell anyone what to do. And I'm not trying to do this in this post. I'm just stating what I do, and how I deal with my own personal accounts.

I've seen more than a few blog posts and articles about disgruntled authors going off the deep end and ranting about bad reviews. It seems to be happening more and more these days in all genres. And the only thing these rants really do is provide fodder for snarky, ambitious bloggers who will do anything to get more hits and comments.

But sometimes, as Lucy and Ethel as these bloggers are, they do have a point. Ranting diminishes all authors, it provides perverse entertainment, and it takes the fun out of reading and reviewing for readers. And I hate to see that happen to readers. I also do believe that most reviews are authentic, good or bad.

I know there is a certain amount of subterfuge in reviewing these days in all directions. It's the way things are set up now. But that's not what this post is about. There's no viable way to stop the subterfuge, especially by ranting.

Authors need to be aware of ethics, like all professionals in every walk of life. The way I do it is to NOT have multiple accounts on goodreads or amazon, or anywhere else. I have one Amazon account I use for everything, with "Ryan Field." I have one Goodreads account I use for everything, with "Ryan Field."

This way when I leave a review or a rating it can be traced back to me and I have nothing to worry about. No one can accuse me of sockpuppeting or faking reviews, and it gives me peace of mind to know that I can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt. My goal as an author is to write, not play games. I hope people will like what I write, but I also know I'm not going to be loved by everyone. And there's nothing wrong with that.

So think ethics, not emotion. Don't sockpuppet or maintain multiple accounts anywhere. The next time you feel the urge to rant write an e-mail, send it to yourself, and read it the next day before you do anything in public. I can promise you that what you wrote in the e-mail the day before will be something you'll be glad you kept to yourself.

2 comments:

Thommie said...

Ah and you are so right, it is very exhausting watching authors rant. And then as a reader you get to a point thinking is this even worth it??? I have found my self often balancing between rating/reviewing a book or just leave it at that and not bother at all. Some behaviors remind me so much those of my children, coming at me crying and sayin "mom that boy don't like me and he wont play with me"...

ryan field said...

It is exhausting. And I feel bad when I see readers get frustrated over it. And I always think to myself that I'm sure the author wouldn't have done that if they had thought about it for a while.

Thanks for commenting!!