Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Kindle Direct Publishing at London Book Fair This Week


Had I planned earlier, I think I would have gone to the London Book Fair this year. I've always wanted to go, and I would have been able to meet a few people from Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). But I didn't even officially decide to publish with KDP until December. For those who read this blog you know I've been talking about indie authors for a long time and I've always been curious about it. It just took a while for me to make the decision...which had to do with many contributing factors in my career I'll eventually discuss at a later date. It should also be interesting because this year Hong Kong is taking part for the first time.

In the most recent KDP newsletter, here's what it says for those of you who are going to the London Book Fair:

As we’d previously announced, KDP will be at the London Book Fair April 16-18, 2012. If you find yourself in London in the next few days make sure to stop by our booth (EC2-W905) to meet us and best-selling KDP UK author Rachel Abbott. We will be hosting several sessions focusing on KDP and Rachel will also be signing copies of her UK Kindle best-seller, Only the Innocent, on Tues 4/17 1-2 pm at our booth. Check out our sessions:

Digital Zone session at Digital Theatre 2
A “how-to” discussion of reaching the growing Amazon Kindle audience and a demo on how to publish your book using KDP.


Tues, 4/17 11-11:20 am

Meet Rachel Abbott at the KDP booth:


Tues, 4/17 3-5 pm


In more KDP news, one of the most recently featured books on KDP was written by Catherine Ryan Hyde, the author of "Pay it Forward," and "Jumpstart the World," also an author I've written about here on the blog several times long before I even knew Hyde was self-publishing with KDP.




Featured KDP BooksWhen I Found You by Catherine Ryan Hyde

When Nathan McCann finds, and saves, a newborn baby abandoned in the woods, he asks the baby's grandmother to someday bring the boy around to meet him. She agrees, but by the time she brings young Nat around, the boy is an angry 15-year-old with a police record and dreams of becoming a professional boxer. And she doesn't just introduce Nat to his namesake, "the man who found him in the woods." She washes her hands of Nat and leaves him with Nathan. Now Nathan must learn how to be both a father and a friend to a troubled kid who doesn't want his help, doesn't trust anyone, and doesn't understand his own heart or the possibilities of his young life.


For those who are interested in looking into more about KDP, here's an interesting piece from the newsletter about the Owner's Lending Program. I opted to do this with "Chase of a Lifetime," and so far I'm happy with the results I'm seeing.

In the month of March, KDP Select-enrolled authors earned an impressive $2.18 per book borrowed. From our recent press release: “Every time a customer borrowed an independently-published book in March, the author earned $2.18. That’s more than many authors earn when their books are sold," said Russ Grandinetti, Vice President of Kindle Content.

Early sales data indicates that inclusion in the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library not only generates additional revenue from loans for authors, but actually increases customer purchases of authors’ work as well.


KDP will also be at BEA this year (Book Expo America), which I'll post when I hear more about it.

No comments: