Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FSoG, Release Date for "Chase of a Lifetime," and What's Considerred "Vanilla"

This is going to be my last post...I think....on "Fifty Shades of Grey" for a while. I'll have a release date for "Chase of a Lifetime" very soon...it will be released this week. And even though the self-publishing experience on Amazon has been much harder than what I normally do with publishers, I'm going to begin a novella as soon as COAL is up on Amazon. I've enjoyed the experience and there's a project I've always wanted to tackle. So I figured I might as well give it a shot on Amazon. I'm also in the process of submitting a short e-book to Loveyoudivine.com titled, "Cowboy and Sparky."

Back to FSoG. Last night I read an interesting blog post over at Pub Rants. PR is an agent blog written by Kristen Nelson of the Nelson Literary Agency which is based in Denver. I've been following it for a long time. I don't always agree with everything on the blog, but I do admire the fact that Ms. Nelson is what I consider a pioneer in publishing in the sense that she saw opportunities on the Internet and built a successful literary agency in Denver instead of New York. She's proven that not everyone has to be in New York in order to have a New York Times bestseller or a successful publishing career. I think that's groundbreaking in itself.

This week she posted about FSoG, asking her blog readers to offer comments as to why they think the book is so popular. She was honest. She couldn't figure out why a book like that would not only cross into the mainstream but also become such a big hit. It's an interesting post, and more than a few people commented. Some of the comments weren't very important. But one blog reader seemed to nail it. Ms. Nelson then wrote a second post, here, and printed the comment.

I've already posted about FSoG, and just this past weekend I went into detail about how friends of mine have been talking about the book. It's interesting to see how different people have such varied views all the way around.

This line from the PR post resonated with me:

The sex is vanilla.

I thought the same thing. But then I think most erotic romance these days is too safe and too vanilla. I kept quiet about this when I heard friends discussing it because they were all talking about how "filthy," and "dirty" it is. I just figured that because I write erotic romance I've become immune to what is considered "vanilla." I should also add that the friends I was with were all gay men who thought FSoG was so filthy and dirty. And when I read the PR post, I was glad to see someone else agreed with me that it wasn't at all like that. At least not in my opinion and I'm not even into BDSM. I've never written it and doubt I ever will.

I also agreed with every other reason why this person who commented on the PR blog liked FSoG. I know it's not great literature, and yet I couldn't put it down. And I haven't even read the other volumes because I haven't had time. I will read them, as soon as I finish the new Anne Tyler novel I just started, "The Beginner's Goodbye" (all reading of any kind stops short for me when Anne Tyler publishes a new book). And in a way, I'm kind of saving the other FSoG books on purpose as something to look forward to as the weather gets warmer. I like knowing that I can plan my reading list way in advance. And because I only get a few hours very late at night to read fiction for pleasure, I'm not as selective about what I read as I probably should be. My only interest at that hour is to be entertained. And I think FSoG will be a great follow up to Anne Tyler, because there isn't a fiction writer out there, in my opinion, who can compare to her. If anyone is interested in seeing how fiction should be written from a technical POV, read any of her books. Just the way Tyler writes dialogue and dialogue tags alone is something all fiction writers should see in order to learn how to craft a novel and stay away from too many of those hideous said bookisms and dialogue tags with adverbs like lovingly and longingly. This alone is a good example of why she's a classic. I might even write a post about this after I'm finished reading the book just to show what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I see far too many mistakes these days, and they are simple mistakes to fix.

2 comments:

! said...

Sex in erotica should definitely not be vanilla but it takes some intelligence and creativity to write X rated in R rated prose. Those who pull that off are talented. Writers tend to go PG rated and therefore too tame or X rated and become crass and vulgar.

Believable dialog is also a go/no go thing for me. I'm my own bag of tricks but is DESPISE the jamming of dialog into the text of a paragraph.

Aside from stylistic errors, I bristle when I am reading a PUBLISHED book with grammatical and typographical errors. No author is smart enough to catch his own mistakes. Hire an editor.

Yes I'm on a tangent.

Matthew Darringer

ryan field said...

You don't have to worry about dialogue, Matt. I've read your work and it's very natural. And I don't know whether or not you've hired an editor, but I don't think you need extensive editorial work. Like I said, it's natural and it works. I saw that right away when I started reading your work.