Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fred Karger's LGBT Presidential Ad Pulled From Youtube



Late last night I read that Fred Karger's promotional video on youtube had been taken down. You can read more about it here. For those who don't know, Mr. Karger is the first openly gay man running for President of the United States. I've posted about him here many times. I don't know the reasons why the video was removed. In this post, I'm only writing the facts posted from Mr. Karger's facebook page.

This is interesting. The Karger video is posted here, with this statement: "Parental Advisory Explicit Content." Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I viewed this more than once and I don't see where this "Explicit Content" is. Evidently, two men kissing, just as two straight people kiss in public all the time, is considered "explicit?"

I'm wondering if the Karger ad was taken down because people aren't allowed to do a "commercial" on youtube...in the sense that it's considered advertising? But if that is the case, then I have to wonder why book trailers and other promotional things that run the along the thin line of advertising aren't taken down, too. I don't know anything for certain.

I do know that on most social media anything lgbt is targeted. And I'm not talking about anything sexually oriented. I'm talking about G-rated lgbt material: it could be as simple as two men holding hands. All it takes is a report or a complaint and anything can be taken down from social media without an explanation. It's happened to me more than once, on my own social media profiles and on those I use with pen names. In each case, it wasn't about the social media site discriminating against me, because everything was restored after I sent an appeal. It was more about a social media site not evaluating a situation before it takes something down...which also makes me wonder about who is actually in charge of these things on social media. Right now, I'm picturing the guy from the freecreditreport.com TV commercials, drinking beer, sitting in his sweat pants in a dowdy apartment somewhere in Silicon Valley.



I've seen the Fred Karger youtube video and I didn't find anything offensive about it. Here's a statement released by Mr. Karger last night:

Statement by Fred Karger on Removal of his “Sexy Frisbee” Commercial by YouTube:I was completely shocked tonight to find out that YouTube had taken down our new California commercial from its web site having deemed it "inappropriate.”..."Sexy Frisbee" had gone viral in less than a day with over 15,000 views since our press release went out late this morning. We had an incredible day of excitement, media coverage and comments.What is "inappropriate" about our 65 second commercial? It was shot at Venice Beach in Southern California with a dozen men and women having fun at the beach. It ended with friends Andrew and Michael (a couple who have been together 7 years) exchanging a quick kiss. Is that kiss what YouTube considers inappropriate? There are gay kisses on television every day and certainly lots on YouTube and other popular video sharing web sites. Today we will be taking the following steps to get our commercial back up on YouTube:We will launch an online petition to gather support to get “Sexy Frisbee” back up on YouTube.We will be writing to Google Co-founders (YouTube is owned by Google) Larry Page and Sergey Brin and ask them for an explanation and full investigation as to why YouTube decided to censor my free speech as a candidate for President of the United States.I will be trying to meet with Google’s lead lobbyist in Sacramento, Jonathan Ross with K P Public Affairs I will be in Sacramento on Wednesday to kick off my California campaign at a 2:00 pm Press Conference (on South steps of the State Capitol Building).

This morning it seems as if the video was added again. At least I think this is the video, but I'm not completely sure. You can view it here on youtube...I THINK.

Like I said, all it takes is one person to "report" something lgbt oriented to any social media site, and it's taken down without an explanation. Most of the time it is restored, but that's never an easy process. By the time you get the freecreditreport.com guy to read an appeal for something that's been removed sometimes it's not even worth the effort.

2 comments:

T.D. McFrost said...

I'm not gonna comment on the socio-political thing, 'cause it's out of my League, but I want to comment on the two men kissing as being explicit. Ugly, stupid, terrible people have a misguided view that if a child sees two men kissing they will think this is cool and will go and seek out the first boy to smooch, become instantly gay and live a life filled of sex and debauchery in a land of dildos and unicorns. And I kid you not, there ARE people who will fight you if you disagree with this. Trust me.

That ideology is fucking ridiculous. I'm aware kids are impressionable, but their sexuality is not something that can be changed in an instant. Last I remembered, folks were born that way and it's not a choice. The gay community and their imagery is further deplored by the public's view that being gay is a "disease"--as in a sickness that can be contracted. Um, okay then, so I guess since my childhood friend is gay just being around him will make me gay too? Well then, if it means losing a dude who will give me a kidney if I asked then strap on my wings, give me a crown and call me a Queen!

People are just stupid and ridiculous! For this nonsense to stop there needs to be a strong, smart, powerful gay voice in politics to show the world that gay people are here and their queer!

ryan field said...

I agree. The LGBT community needs one powerful spokesperson.