Thursday, April 12, 2012

Amazon United Kingdom: Chase of a Lifetime


I've been receiving a lot of e-mails from readers in the United Kingdom about "Chase of a Lifetime" and I wanted to say thank you with this post. It's been on sale here at Amazon.co.uk since the release.

For a writer like me who has always depended on publishers, I can't thank you guys enough for making COAL a bestseller in the UK, too.

The entire self-publishing on Amazon process has been intense, humbling, and a huge learning experience for me. I promised I wouldn't spam anyone or do any outrageous promotions and I haven't. I didn't expect to blow anyone out of the water and I didn't expect to win a Pulizter. I just wanted to find out if I could do it alone. There were nights I didn't sleep at all because I couldn't stop thinking about edits for the book and other things like formatting that I never had to worry about before. Tony was ready to hit me over the head with a two by four more than once.




In a way, to see that COAL did well in the UK is a quiet, personal accomplishment for me. When I was in college I turned down an opportunity to study at the Fairleigh Dickinson University Campus in Wroxton, England because I didn't want to miss an internship I'd landed with a small text book publisher in Morristown, New Jersey. I don't have many regrets in life, but I will always regret that decision. I was an English major. I should have dropped everything and gone to Wroxton. But I was young, dumb, and didn't grasp the magnitude of what I was missing at the time. Seeing COAL on a bestseller list in the UK makes me feel a little better about missing that opportunity. And one of my future goals is to travel to the UK and spend time in Wroxton checking out the campus. If I had a bucket list, it would be in the top ten.

No comments: