Friday, March 30, 2012

Chase of a Lifetime on Kobo, and Amazon Indie Publishing from Catherine Ryan Hyde & Barry Eisler


While I don't want to bore everyone to death with details about the technical process involved in self-publishing a book on Amazon, I did want to show that one of the things I thought was important was to edit/proof my book downloaded to an actual e-reader. I wanted to see how the e-book would look on one of my own e-readers. I have five and I started with the basic Kobo e-reader with e-ink. I don't want to assume anything, so I'll also be testing the book out on every type of e-reader to be sure it looks the same on the most basic to the most recent tablet. And, this is editing that's more like triple checking because the book's already been extensively edited and copy edited down to the last line...both before and after conversion. And, "Chase of a Lifetime" is a 60,000 word full length novel, not a short story or novella.

The one problem I found while I was checking things out last night on my Kobo was that the copy editor I hired made changes, got them wrong, and I had to go back and line edit each small thing. They weren't large. It was more of a matter of style than anything. But since I'm in charge this time and I get the final say, the copy editor isn't going to do anything to my book I don't like. Another problem I'm finding is that things like indentations and page numbers tend to get screwed up during the conversion process. But it's being figured out as I write this post.

Overall, I'm happy with the way the book looks on Kobo. I wanted to be sure people who own Kobo products could download the book on Amazon, too. I won't get into mobi files or epub files because I doubt people want to know about this. Until I started this Amazon project I didn't want to know those details. But if I can download a .99 Kindle e-book to my Kobo, iPhone, or Nook, I would imagine anyone else can.

I also want to link to a great post I read yesterday. I was having one of those "what the fuck did I do now" moments with regard to Amazon publishing. So I did a few searches to see how other authors view the process and found a great interview/post between author Catherine Ryan Hide and Barry Eisler. For those who don't know, Mr. Eisler walked away from a slick deal with St. Martin's to pursue self-publishing, and CRH is the bestselling author who wrote "Pay it Forward." The post helped calm me down and took away all my second thoughts (well, not all, but I'm working on them). That may sound dramatic, but I've always depended on the collaboration with a publisher and doing it alone for the first time ever after doing it with a publisher for twenty years can be scary. I'm also glad I found this post by CRH by accident. I've been a fan and I've read her book "Jumpstart The World." It's one of the best YA books I've ever read with LGBT content. It made me feel much better to know that someone I respect and admire is speaking about the Amazon indie self-publishing process, too.

I'll keep posting more about the process of getting "Chase of a Lifetime" out next week. I'm shooting for a release of early next week. But I'm not committing to anything yet until I know the book is up and ready. But it will be up for sale sometime next week. It will be on Amazon for the first ninety days, and then I'll decide whether or not I need to start distributing it anywhere else. I know there's this mindset that all books should be distributed in as many places as authors can get them. (I'm a huge fan of sites like ARe and 1place for my purchases.) But I also know that most e-book sales do come from Amazon. At least that's been my own personal experience, not hearsay. At the very least, I will probably try to get it up on the most popular romance sites where e-books are sold.

2 comments:

Sofie Couch said...

Thanks for sharing your insights on editing the book/checking formatting for the e-reader. (Nice Blogsite).

ryan field said...

You're welcome. I thought it was important to see how the book will look when readers see it.