Saturday, February 25, 2012

Logo's Questionable Programming


There's an interesting article by Viktor Kerney in Bilerico about the Logo channel's new programming. You can read about it here in full.

Logo revealed a new concept to their television programming this week. Their goal is to reach a more mainstream audience and shake-up their traditional lineup.

So maybe this is why I haven't been watching Logo? My taste is eclectic and I'm just as likely to watch Johnny Knoxville's "Jackass" (love that show) as I am a PBS documentary about former President Clinton. But I've been missing a lot of the content on Logo and I've been wondering why the programming has been so questionable.

This is what General Manager and Executive Vice President, Lisa Sherman, thinks:

Culturally, we're past the tipping point. For gays and lesbians, it's part of who they are, but they don't lead with it, because many are leading fully integrated, mainstream lives. Our goal at Logo has always been to honestly reflect our viewers' lives. We're now reinforcing our commitment to them with programming that truly mirrors how many of them are living and want to be entertained today.

Blah, blah, blah. The weather channel tried to do something like this recently and failed. They started putting on old movies and everyone screamed.

The author of the article in Bilerico says this:

Really? I couldn't imagine BET revealing a new line of shows that didn't focus on Black issues or the Black community. Could you imagine Friends on BET? No, and I can't understand why the execs would take this route. If they wanted to reach a broader audience, they could start with a few scripted shows that showcase different aspects of our community, reality shows that go beyond gossip and sex, and a serious news show.

I can understand why they would take this route. Because they just don't know any better. As a gay author, you'd be amazed at how many times I'm questioned about gay content and how gay characters would react or behave. I've been questioned and censored by more people than I can even count. It seems to be a trend these days. As a sidenote, this never happened with any gay owned and operated publisher or press I've worked with. And I've worked with them all.

Please take the time to read the rest of this article. At the very least, you'll find out why there are so few LGBT shows on Logo these days.

No comments: