Friday, February 17, 2012

Joe Konrath: "Amazon Will Destroy You"


Here's an interesting blog post by Joe Konrath. It's not a long post; it gets right to the point. I recommend reading it, especially if you're a new author.

I agree on some things, I'm not sure about others. I'm not sure because I still haven't tried out self-publishing with Amazon. This doesn't mean I wasn't one of the first to get into e-publishing. I don't know when Konrath started looking into digital publishing, but I started with one e-publisher nine years ago who was bought out by someone else. Three years after that, I moved on to loveyoudivine.com (where I remain), and then started writing genre fiction for ravenousromance.com. Including all the work I've had published with traditional publishers over the years, I have about 90 different published works out there (I'm honestly not completely sure about the exact number), most with my real name.

I have no regrets. I'm glad I made the switch to e-publishing in spite of more than one piece of advice from publishing professionals who told me not to waste my time with e-publishing. I'm glad I didn't listen. The switch to e-publishing has allowed me to write more, release more, and build my reader base.

My overall experience with e-publishers has been very positive. Even though I'm not self-published and I don't have complete control, I don't have any complaints. More often than not the advice I receive from my publishers has been something that has helped me move forward. I'm not sure I could have done that alone. This doesn't mean I'm still not curious about the self-publishing program at Amazon.

No comments: