Thursday, December 15, 2011

New Year's Resolutions: Writing a New Book

If you're making a New Year's resolution this year to write a new book, this article might help. I swiped the link from an agent's blog, but I don't think she'll mind.

The article gets into "formula," which I strongly believe in...because it works.

I like articles like this because they help motivate people in more than one way. I'm making my own New Year's resolution next month and I'm determined to follow it through.

For the most part, I'm usually good with New Year's resolutions and I think it's because I try to keep them realistic. This time it might be a little more difficult. Even though I have over eighty-five published works floating around out there, I've always wanted to write something for the mainstream/commercial market. Something along the lines of The Nanny Diaries, with commercial potential, and at least one or two LGBT characters. I'm still working on the basic storyline. So we'll see what happens. And I'll be doing this in my spare time, because I have a lot of m/m romance projects already lined up until at least next July.

When it's finished, it should be interesting to see how it's received by mainstream agents and publishers. So far, no one in the mainstream, from my experience, has ever been interested in anything LGBT unless it exploits or sensationalizes. This, I don't think, is discrimination. "They" just don't think LGBT material will sell. I'm sure I'll have more than a few posts on that topic.

And, if it isn't received well, you can be damn sure I'll be putting on my self-publishing cap and forging ahead faster than a steam roller on my own.

But check out the web site I linked to. It's a good read, and extremely motivational.

2 comments:

Rebecca Leigh said...

Good luck Ryan! If anyone can accomplish this goal, I know you can.

ryan field said...

Thanks!!