Sunday, December 11, 2011

LGBT Friendly Senior Housing Complex in Philadelphia

For those who don't know, the Philadelphia Gay News (PGN) has been around for a long time and they are still going strong online. It's one of the most respected papers in the country for the LGBT community.

You can get there from here.
I don't get the print paper anymore but I do read them online faithfully.

This article, here, about LGBT friendly senior housing is very interesting. I've been told by a real estate friend that it's allegedly illegal (and not ethical) to say "LGBT Senior Housing" because that would be alleged discrimination. So I guess if they use the word "friendly" it's safe? I don't know the details.

Either way, it's nice to see something like this happening, and in a place not too far from where I live. I've seen many LGBT seniors placed in facilities that weren't LGBT friendly, and it was like putting them in prison. This I've seen first hand. It's not hearsay.

3 comments:

A.B.Gayle said...

This is interesting and much needed judging by comments in emails I've been exchanging with the gay author, Dirk Vanden, now in his late seventies.

Currently he lives alone with just his ageing dog for company having had two partners die of AIDS and of course being cut off from his family. He's finding his living expenses are not met by the pension so he is quickly whittling through his life's savings.

He is dreading having to go to hetero assisted housing. He was advised to approach SAGE but they have no groups in his area.

I have been trying to help him promote his books. His classic "All Together" has recently been reissued by lyd Alterotica along with "Leather" under a different name.

A while ago, he wrote a piece in http://www.lambdaliterary.org/features/oped/11/23/when-you-are-old-and-gay/ on the topic.

He says he is getting little or no support from other gay men. Is there a solution for people like him? He's keen to get something going in his area, but doesn't know how to start.

I've tried to help him, but living in another country, it's not easy. Any suggestions would be welcome.

ryan field said...

Thanks for commenting on this. I'm going to check out Dirk's work.

I actually have a lot of older lgbt friends who are in his position. Where I live, there is support within the lgbt community. I don't know if it's because it's a small lgbt community and we've known each other for a long time or what...but I also know there are lgbt people without that support.

I was glad to seet his happening in Philadelphia so close to where I live.

A.B.Gayle said...

Thanks Ryan, even sharing the occasional thing he posts or mentioning him to others would be a help.
Alison