Friday, December 30, 2011

High Concept: Four Feet Under...


As I posted earlier this week, I remember watching an episode of Sex in the City that handled the subject of foot fetish and it stuck with me for a long time. I wanted to write something about it but nothing ever came to me so I kept putting it off.

Those who know my fiction, know that I don't always remain in the same venue all the time. Because I sometimes switch gears, so to speak, I feel obligated to let readers know what I'm doing in more detail so they don't think they are buying one thing and getting another.

Sometimes I do write books I think are far more romance oriented than others I've written. TAKE ME ALWAYS is a good example of this. As you can see from this review/comment on allromanceebooks, a reader thought so, too.

OH MY GOD!!! I CRIED MY EYES OUT!. This was a very touching love story with alot of steamy sex. Make sure you have plenty of time to read the entire book in one sitting and a box of kleenex by your side. It was a very close adaptation of The Notebook except the character that was writing the story used a computer. Maybe we should call the book "The Laptop" (tee-hee). Seriously though, it is a great read.

There are times I like to have fun and take a Debbie Macomber trope and add a lot more spice and heat to it. I love Debbie's books; don't get me wrong. But just because there's a basket of puppies in a book doesn't mean there can't be good sex, too. And there are just as many readers out there who want to read the sex scenes as there aren't. There's room for everyone.

In some cases, I'm often amazed at the double standards sometimes. I read about a popular book reviewer editing an erotic BDSM anthology and then I see on her blog she uses the word "heck" instead of "hell." I know this is small, maybe even petty. But if you're bold enough to edit BDSM, which is territory where even I've never gone in fiction (seriously,) give me a break with the "heck" bullshit. You're clearly no saint; you're allowed to use the word "hell" (smile).

I'm explaining FOUR FEET UNDER WITH MY BUDDIES because it's not the most romance oriented book I've ever written. It's more new adult, high concept erotica if anything. I'm certain fictionwise will classify this in "fetish." There is a happy ending, character development, a storyline that would stand alone without the sex, and there could be room for a possible relationship in the future with the characters. But you're not going to find a basket of puppies in this one.

The gist of the story is focused on one thing: foot fetish. And I tried to keep it lighter, without laughing at it like they did in Sex in the City. It's one of those awkward topics late night comedians love to joke around about. I can just hear Chelsea Handler now. But the truth is there are obviously a lot of people, gay and straight, out there with foot fetishes and it's one of those taboo topics no one will ever admit to aloud. And, we tend to laugh at things that hit too close to home and make us a little too nervous.

Here's the blurb, and if anyone has any questions, please e-mail me.

Young Max is living at home and going to community college to save money. But his social life is nonexistent; he hasn’t been with a man in months. Then one Friday night he decides to go to the school gym and work out because there’s usually no one else around. That’s when he finds two of the hottest guys on campus shooting hoops in the empty gym. He pretends to be disinterested and they eventually follow him into the locker room. When he finds out they are a gay couple looking for a third, he’s stunned. And when they tell him what they want him to do to their feet, he can’t wait for them to take off their shoes.

2 comments:

Rebecca Leigh said...

Love the blurb Ryan! You are a fantastic writer, so if anyone can do justice to this topic you can. Besides, who doesn't like a pair of nice feet?! Can wait to find out what they want him to do!!

ryan field said...

Thanks...I had fun doing this one. It's been on my mind for a long time but couldn't get it right. It finally came together last month.