Saturday, December 10, 2011

Christmas Ideas: Kobo e-ink Reader...Can E-books Be As Personal As Print Books?


Since I posted about the Nook, I figured I'd provide a link for the Kobo e-ink reader.
I do own one of these and I love it. I have no complaints. It's simple to use and for me it provides a very personalized digital reading experience. In fact, this comfortable, personal "feeling" was the last thing I expected when I bought this e-reader.

The personal aspect is something readers don't hear about often. We read books, for the most part, for entertainment and comfort. And I think it's important to mention this part of the experience when making the switch from print books to e-books. I know I hesitated about e-books for a long time because the concept of reading digital books seemed so impersonal. When my first Kobo e-ink reader came in I left it sitting on the desk for almost two weeks.

But when I finally sat down and started reading, I actually found the reading experience itself to be personal and comfortable. I now prefer it to print books because it's more comfortable, and can't imagine going back to reading print books unless it is absolutely necessary.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Does kobo have their own library of books that you purchase like amazon does w/ kindle?

ryan field said...

Barb...yes, they do. And I love their store. After you download the app, it's as simple as pushing a button. Almost anything I can get on amazon I can get on Kobo. And there was one book in particular I couldn't find once, and I called an agent friend of mine because it was his client's book. A week later he told me his client's book had been added to Kobo. I don't know how that works or how books are added to online retail web sites. But Kobo has an extensive list, including all New York Times bestsellers.

I also like Kobo because, at the time I bought it, I could have library books downloaded.