Thursday, November 3, 2011

Guess Who Just Edited An Erotic Romance?


The other day someone told me the most unlikely book reviewer on the Interwebs was contracted to edit an anthology of erotic romance stories. Though it probably shouldn't, this announcement surprised me because this same person has been attacking erotic romance authors for a long time. And, she has a crew of beige drones following her around cyberspace.

I'm not talking about giving out fair, honest reviews about not liking various erotic romances. I'm talking about roasting books in public, making fun of erotic romance authors in public, and abusing social media...to the point of driving a few authors I know to the brink of psychological despair.

My parents are therapists and I once asked them what motivates an anonymous book reviewer to behave this way. They both responded the same way, without even knowing all the facts: sometimes people are just plain rotten to the core and there are no explanations. That was good enough for me.

There are a lot of new authors out there who are learning, and creating what they believe is good erotic romance. They are learning how to deal with criticism in all its forms. And they don't know how to handle honest rejection yet, let alone a vicious attack by a devious reviewer who does it for sport.

And now, ironically, this same reviewer has an erotic romance coming out, the very sub-genre this reviewer has been blasting for years. But I'm going to wait until this anthology is released to make any comments at all. Who knows? It might be great. And I'd hate to jump to conclusions, for the sake of the authors in the anthology. In all likelihood, I'll take the high road and I won't even review it or comment on it...unless there are fundamental flaws in writing styles or something I know can be backed up with fact.

Then again, I might not even bother. Some things just aren't worth the energy wasted and total dismissal is usually the best approach.

2 comments:

Leaundra said...

I think your parents are right and certain people will be ugly no matter what you say. The same people who rip other people's work will be insulted that you had the nerve to say the same thing about theirs. They can usually dish it out but most of the time they can't take it. I DO NOT LISTEN to ugly reviews I've read some of the best books that people have not liked and really didn't enjoy some books that people loved. It's personal taste and if it's not yours say that and don't be ugly about it. I just appreciate all of the hard work you authors do. Like I always say you feed my habit:-)

ryan field said...

Thanks for commenting, Leaundra.