Friday, September 30, 2011

Fred Karger: Openly Gay and Running for President


Until I received an e-mail from Fred Karger's campaign, I didn't know there was an openly gay man running for President. And he's a Republican, too, shock of shocks.

Here's a story from e-mail I received from him:


"I'm living in KY and I'm 20 years old. When I go to work each day, I fear 
that my employer may find out that I am gay and will fire me. In this state, 
it would be completely within his "legal right."



Growing up knowing I was gay and living in such a socially narrow-minded 
society, I fell into deep depression and attempted suicide many times.



Since coming out in 2010, it has been a struggle to find my "place" in this 
world, but I am so blessed to have good people in my life who support me and 
build me up. I stumbled upon your page while researching candidates for the 
2011 presidential election, and I am over joyed for your running.

As Harvey Milk said, we have to elect gay people. For all the teens out there who will 
be watching the news, wondering if this world will ever except them or not...



Thanks for giving me a little more hope today!

"

- "Jonathan"


I've posted about the fact that there are, indeed, many gay people who aren't liberal Democrats. I've just never given any solid examples...until right now.

I'm basically an independent, and truly bipartisan. When I write blog posts like this, I remain objective. And I'm curious to find out what Fred Krager has to say. I do know that all the hope and change we were promised in the last election...and I'm speaking collectively when I say we, not just about gays...didn't work out very well so far for most Americans.

I also think it's important to spread this information around the Interwebs about gay Presidential condidates like Fred Karger.

Here's the link to Fred Karger's web site.

I borrowed the article below, from here.

Welcome to the 2012 election where on the GOP side alone, we have an openly gay man, a woman and a Mormon running for President. Of course, a candidate's sexuality, gender or religion shouldn't matter. But it does, even in this day and age. However, I think because all these different types of people are running, it proves the country is making some progress. Win or lose, at least they ran and they're shaking up the field.

We interviewed Fred Karger, who is the first openly gay candidate looking to take over the Oval Office. He doesn't take himself too seriously, with a campaign that jokes, "Fred Who?!". But he says he is serious about fixing the country and making President Obama a one-term leader. Karger knows he's not a household name and he believes in this concept that many thought was dead and gone in Washington: bipartisanship.

No comments: