Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Queer as Folk" Creator Working on Something Brand New

Russell T. Davis, the man who created "Queer as Folk" and other dramas, is supposedly working on a brand new drama. I'm a huge fan of his work...all of it!! And all I can say is amen...and I seriously hope that if he does create a new drama the folks over at the LOGO channel are thinking about picking it up. But LGBT TV is so dismal at this point, I'd settle for anyone picking it up.

It's been a long time since there was anything worth watching on LOGO. Sorry, I'm not the Buffy the Vampire Slayer type, and I'd rather watch fifteen year old reruns of the Two Fat Ladies on the cooking channel than watch Rue Paul's Drag Race. And films like Latter Days, although entertaining in some places, leave me wondering why this is the best they can do with gay drama. But, like I said, we take what we can get. "They" treat the lgbt community a lot like the African American community was treated in the l960's and 70's.

Here's the article about the new drama, and here's the link.

By On Top Magazine Staff
Published: July 10, 2011Russell T. Davies, the creative force behind Torchwood, Doctor Who and Queer as Folk, is working on a new gay drama, Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood reported.

BBC Worldwide Productions is producing the new show, tentatively titled Cucumber, which revolves around gay men. Showtime, which aired an American version of Queer as Folk based on Davies' groundbreaking UK version, is reportedly considering picking up the show.

“Details about the plot have been hard to come by,” the site reported. “It's a good bet it's getting a hard look” from Showtime executives.

On Friday, Davies' latest series, Torchwood: Miracle Day, premiered on the Starz cable network. The action-oriented sci-fi spinoff of the BBC hit Doctor Who is helmed by Captain Jack Harkness, played since 2005 by openly gay actor John Barrowman. The time traveling Harkness is bisexual.

In an interview with gay glossy The Advocate, Davies said there was no pressure to alter the sexuality of the series' characters in bringing the show to an American premium cable network.

3 comments:

William Maltese said...

Certainly, I found this of exceeding interest. Yes, please, and thank you very much.

Jon Michaelsen said...

You've said exactly what I've been feeling re Logo channel - I mean, how many times can you watch reruns of "Buffy" and "Drag"....!!

ryan field said...

I'm just hoping for at least one new good series like Queer as Folk. And I'd like to see LOGO do it, not HBO or Showtime, this time.