Monday, July 11, 2011

Eight Things Gays Still Can't Do...

Rather than post something long here, I'm linking to the article and listing the 8 things gay men still can't do below.

This is what I'm talking about when I get annoyed, slightly, when I hear people in the m/m fiction world tell me how wonderful things are and how many choices gay men still have. Yes, we do have more choices than ever before. But we're far from equal.

I've added my own comments beside the titles. But I think it's worth reading the entire article. And I could probably come up with 8 other things if I really wanted to.

No Legal Equal Employment...This has been around as long as I can remember. And, women are still fighting for the same rights. So we're not alone.

Can't donate blood...This one amazes me, as if gay men are the only people who can transmit the HIV virus. As far as I know, anyone can.

Still can't adopt in some states...If you met my hideous ex-sister-in-law (my poor straight brother made a huge mistake back when), and you saw the way she screws up her kids, you'd be happy to have to stable gay men adopting kids.

Educational discrimination based on sexual orientation...This one made me wonder at first. But if you read the article, you'll see it's valid.

Housing Discrimination: LGBTs Can't Live In Certain Communities...Well, trust me, there are certain communities I don't want to live in either. I think the right address is important. But no one should be cast aside for any reason. This is America.

Same sex marriage not allowed in most states...It would be great if all states passed same sex marriage. But we need it more in a federal level, not just on a state level. Those inheritance taxes are brutal.

Gay men can't be scout leaders...I've never even wanted to be a scout. But I'm sure there are gay men who'd get into this, and how unfair to see they can't.

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repealed!... In A Year?...This doesn't surprise me in the least. It shows how our politicians are always more interested in campaigning than fighting for equality. Mark my words, one of these days a smart politicain is going to come along and promise change...real change...and he or she is going to go down in history.

2 comments:

Lisa Lane said...

It just boggles my mind that this kind of discrimination goes in in this day in age--in a country that calls itself "the land of the free and home of the brave."

ryan field said...

It is dismal...