Monday, July 11, 2011

Cover Challenges...And How Hard We Do Work For Quality


I thought I'd post this cover for my upcoming release, Another Regular Bud.

It's only a draft so far, and for the first time in a long time I just didn't think it worked. Don't get me wrong. I love it and I think it's a work of art. The cover artist nailed the suggestions I made. But I'm worried readers who've read A Regular Bud might not be attracted to it because it's so different.

Why am I posting this? Because I've been reading on certain romance blogs about quality and how it's so important to the publishing process. It is important. But frankly, it irritates me when one author, or a few bloggers, try to suggest they've cornered the market on quality e-books. And I wanted to show readers how much detail is spent working on just the covers alone at Loveyoudivine.com. We don't take it lightly; we want everything to be as perfect as we can get it. And quality is one of the most important things we think about before releasing a book.

I hate being a pain in the ass with the cover artists. In fact, I never, ever, don't like a cover I'm sent. But this time I just have this deep down feeling it's not right, and we're going to keep working on it until we get it right. Thankfully, the cover artist is far more talented in cover art than I'll ever be. And I know she'll come up with something similar to the first book, A Regular Bud, that keeps readers happy.

I'm not always one of those who believes a cover sells a book. But I do think there needs to be continuity when it comes to books that follow a certain theme so readers know what to expect. And the new story, Another Regular Bud, though completely different form A Regular Bud, does, indeed, follow the same theme. And I want readers to know this just by seeing the cover.

I'll update this to let people know what's been decided. We may even just make a few changes to this version.

4 comments:

Jon Michaelsen said...

I don't know, Ryan - as a HUGE fan of A Regular Bud & Down The Basement (among others), I think the cover is fine; perhaps minimizing the heel a little would work - but I know your cover artist is tops, so I'm not worried there!! You are correct; lyd spends a great deal of time working with (us) authors to get the covers just right! Great post...

ryan field said...

Thanks, Jon. I just got the new cover and I'll post it tomorrow when it's finalized. I love this one. I truly do. But I want readers to know it's a different story, not the same story with a different cover.

AJ Llewellyn said...

I have no idea whop thinks they've cornered the cover market. I just know what I like and have had to resort to paying my own models in the past. I almost always accept covers, but recently asked one publisher for a change and was rejected. I was devastated and I noticed some reviews mentioned the 'cheesy' cover. Sometimes you get lucky with pubs and cover artists who welcome your input, sometimes you don't.

ryan field said...

I've been very lucky, too. Most of the time the covers are great and I'm fine with them.

And in this case, as you can see, the cover was great. But I didn't want to confuse readers.

So we worked it out. This is one of the reasons I love working with Loveyoudivine. Everyone's always working toward that quality.