Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Quick Post: One Huge Difference Between E-publishers and Traditional Publishers

Version One: E-publisher

Me: Dear E-publishing Editor,

Something important came up and we need to talk. You know I never e-mail you about these things unless they are important. I'll be around all day.

Thanks!!

Ryan

E-Publisher response within an hour after contacting them:

Hi Ryan,

Here's what I think we should do. I'm glad you contacted me. It is important and we should take care of this immediately. Readers care about these issues.

Best,

E-Publisher



Simple. Fast. To the point. No one is left hanging. And everyone knows where they stand.



Version Two: Here's the same exchange with a traditional print publisher. (Picture me bowing and genuflecting to the Pope.)

Me: Dear Grand Editor with Traditional Publisher,

I'm getting back regarding your questions about the matter we discussed the other day. Below you should find everything you need. If you need anything else, please let me know.

It sounded as if you wanted to discuss this right away.

Best,

Ryan

Traditional publisher response from Grand Editor, day one:


Traditional publisher response from Grand Editor, day two:


Traditional publisher response from Grand Editor, day three:


Traditional publisher response from Grand Editor, day seven:



And so it goes...

2 comments:

Kristabel Reed said...

I don't know what it's like working with a traditional print publisher, but do have to say I enjoy the speediness of the e-publisher. It also feeds into my instant gratification need!

ryan field said...

Kristabel...Aside from the faster pace of working with e-publishers, I find it more respectful. And I think that's mosly because a lot of e-publishers themselves worked in traditional print publishing and were treated shabbily. They don't want to make the same mistake.