Thursday, August 12, 2010

Beekman Boys


When I switched from comcast to verizon fios earlier this summer, I had no idea the transition was going to be so difficult. I don't watch much TV because I'm usually writing books, reading books, or editing books. But I do watch a few hours at night to clear my head. And getting used to the verizon set up wasn't easy.


But one of the great things I discovered on verizon fios this summer was a TV show called The Fabulous Beekman Boys. It's a reality show, starring a gay couple, Dr. Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell, who decided to make a life-change by buying an old mansion in upstate New York and building a business around it. They remind me of the two main characters in my book Sleepless in San Francisco, only they aren't raising a child.


But they are raising goats and other fascinating farm animals, along with making organic soaps, growing organic vegetables, and creating their own organic goat cheese. Everything can be purchased at the web site, too. And you can read more about them both, and about what they are creating at Beekman. What I love most is that it's more about a healthy lifestyle than anything else. And, to be honest, Dr. Brent is absolutely adorable and very easy in the eyes.


As someone who has started two businesses on my own, and then sold them both for profit, I know how hard these guys work. In order to get any business off the ground, it means working seven days a week, at least twelve or more hours each day, and no time off for a social life. I did it for ten years with my New Hope art gallery, and five more with another business I sold in 2007. And I'm still doing it as a writer, which is just as demanding as running any other business.


So if you get a chance, check out the link I provided above. Beekman 1802 is a great web site and very simple to navigate. But more than that, these two guys are excellent examples of the same sex couples I'm always writing about in my novels.

2 comments:

Neil Plakcy said...

I love the Fabulous Beekman Boys, too, Ryan. And I agree with you-- it's a lot of work to run any business, including one based on writing.

ryan field said...

It is a lot of work...I don't know how these guys do it. I watched them wrap soap one night and couldn't believe it. I'd lose my mind ;)