Monday, February 8, 2010

Excerpt from VALLEY OF THE DUDES


Below is another excerpt from VALLEY OF THE DUDES sold on www.ravenousromance.com. In this one, the two main characters have just met and are walking through the streets of New York and they pass a book shop. In the window of the book shop, there's a book about gay marriage. Of course this is just their initial reaction to the concept of marriage. There's a lot more to come in the book as both characters mature.


On the next block, they passed a small bookstore and Rush smiled when he looked into the window. There was a book on display, all by itself, with two attractive young men wearing white suits on the cover. The men were standing before an alter, staring into each others eyes, exchanging wedding vows. And there were two gold wedding bands, intertwined, at the top of the book cover. The title of the book was The Glass Ceiling.


Rush sighed and said, “I’m not very political and I’ve never been an activist about anything, but it’s nice to see books like that in the front windows of book shops, on display for the entire world to see. I think I’m going to come back and buy that book this week.”


Lance placed his palm on Rush’s back and said, “I’m not political either, but it is nice to see. Guys like us have come a long way.”


“Have you ever thought about getting married?” Rush asked. His voice was soft and light. He wasn’t probing for information. It was just a general question.


“I’m afraid not,” Lance said. “I like being single. I’m very happy with my life, and I know what I want. I don’t see myself ever settling down with one man like those guys on the cover of that book.”


Rush smiled. “You’re lucky. I wish I could be as certain about my life as you are about yours. I don’t have the slightest clue what I want or where I want to be.”


Lance lowered his hand and rested it on Rush’s hip. He pulled Rush into his side and asked, “Is there someone else back in New England?”

No comments: